A porch swing is an important part of farm life!

wertach zone 7-B SCMarch 27, 2012

I had forgotten how important a porch swing was to farm life until I bought my Dads old house. When I was a child Mama and Daddy would sit in that swing and snap beans, shell beans, peas, and pecans, and do many other garden chores.

After I got married and left home, I never had a porch swing. I would do my chores at the picnic table, in a yard chair, or on the couch in front of the TV. It seemed like so much work, no pleasure.

I bought my parents house after they died and rediscovered the porch swing. There is something about that gentle swing that gives me a rhythm to make the chore a pleasure.

The swing gives you a little breeze when the air isn't stirring, lets your mind drift, and before you know it the beans, ETC, are snapped, shelled or whatever.

You don't have to worry about pecan shells, and everything else getting stuck in your carpet. I just take the push broom a sweep it up!

I cracked and shelled 20 pounds of pecans yesterday and it was a pleasure instead of a pain.

I wish that I had put up a porch swing when I was young!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

bump

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 2:23PM
bulldinkie(pa)

Yes we bought an antique porch swing,we enjoy sitting out there on a beautiful evening just lookin at all our hard work..

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:43AM
Carol_from_ny

We are having a porch put on our old house. The first thing I asked for when we started talking about building one was that there be room for a porch swing.
there's something about that gentle glide that can change the whole way things feel.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 1:07PM
steelskies(5)

Please post picture of porch swing!

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 11:10PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

I had one made out oak 6 foot wide a lot room and sleeper are napper with big pillow. Very costly wind chm low tone.
Its out in weather 16 foot post and long chains makes good cruiser used about 2 hours aday good weather. Setting in there yesterday late watching hummingbird working in butter fly bush lol. The smell Carolina jasmine come by swing from half way across yard. Pick hand full sugar snap sweet peas for green snack. I enjoy my swing.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:47AM
steelskies(5)

Wow, what a life. Sounds too perfect. Not much blooming here now except spring bulbs like tulips and daffodil. in Wisconsin. I would LOVE a picture! I can swing vicariously!

Enjoy your swing.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:52AM
snycal(z8CA)

I NNNEEEEEED A PORCH SWING NOW!!!!

*sigh*

sounds lovely, why don't I have one?

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:37PM
susie53_gw

Growing up my grandma had a huge porch with a swing. We spend many hours on the silly thing. My grandpa would yell at us to stop hitting the house. Such wonderful memories. I had hoped my children would get to swing in it but my grandma died a week after I got married. I saw on for the last time on my wedding day! She sure left me with some wonderful memories.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
shihtzu4su
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Sponsored Products
American Drew Americana Home Landscape Mirror in Weathered White
Beyond Stores
Herman Miller | EamesĀ® Wire Chair
YLiving.com
Model 7204-35: Antique Oak Linear Flush Fluorescent
$412.20 | Bellacor
Textured Lines Rug 6' x 9' - BLUE
$1,799.00 | Horchow
'Grandkids' Clip Canvas Frame
$27.99 | zulily
"Le Bain" Shower Curtain - WHITE
$80.00 | Horchow
Trina Turk Kaleidoscope Multicolored Outdoor Pillow
$109.00 | FRONTGATE
Avant Eco Golden Espresso Energy Star EcoMotor 60-Inch Ceiling Fan with Chocolat
$558.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™