Spinach & Swiss Chard - Sunburned leaves? OR???

miwilynMay 20, 2010

Can anyone tell me what's going on with my spinach and swiss chard? Several of the leaves look almost as though they've been sunburned with dry, whitish discoloration on the leaves (see pics below). Only thing is we haven't had much in the way of sun yet this spring, except one little period where temps here in Seattle were close to normal (65 or so). Do spinach and swiss chard sunburn? Or what else could be causing this? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organicislandfarmer(9)

could be fertilizer burn or wind burn. Need more information about conditions before making a better guess.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 12:12AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Leafminer.

Detach a leaf, then hold it up to the light and look at the edges of the pale area. Likely you'll find some small critters still inside the leaf. They feed between the upper & lower layers of the leaf.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 2:04AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Are those pics of seedlings still in flats? If so, the problem may go away when the plants are set out. It's easy for plants to be unhealthy in some way when growing in the restricted conditions of a flat.

Jim

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 9:46AM
leisa_in_md(z6 MD)

I had that happen with my chard last year, with full grown healthy plants. It was only a few leaves, so I just picked them off and threw them away. I think it was bugs, and I didn't lose any plants from it. It looked exactly like that.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 11:59AM
miwilyn

Thanks jean001! Sure enough, leaf miners. Many have since moved on, but found several still in there hanging out. Removed all the affected leaves. Any organic way to prevent them?

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
What Bugs Are In My Garden?
I am growing artichoke, kale, a spider plant and a...
safersaturnx
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
New garden: Cheap raised beds or quality large planters?
Hi all, Starting to plan the garden this year, which...
pegleg48
Planting two seeds. Should I keep both?
I've always heard you should plant 2-3 seeds per container...
asunk00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™