Edging by Road of Front Yard

Kelby232(6-6b PA)November 5, 2013

Hello all.

I am wondering if I could get some input on an Idea I have of edging my front yard by the driveway.

Right now I have a hedge of some pine trees and other various plants. I have a problem mowing around these and I want to give an edge to my front yard.

I drew a straight line in my pictures but I don't really like sharp or straight edges so I was thinking of doing a curvy or round edge.

Anyway, just trying to get your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

I'm looking but don't see straight lines that you drew, just broadly curving ones which seem quite reasonable, except for the jittery quality, which I'm sure would be dispensed with in the final product. Don't like sharp edges? I thought the same was true of myself way back before I began studying landscape design, but learned (rather early on) that the alternatives frequently didn't look near as nice or as professional. "Curvy or round edge" ... it would be important to know what you mean. If you mean looping in and out, you're just not correct that it's going to look better. It would look more "Candylandish" (and "dated" IMO) but if that's what floats your boat you're probably not going to accept advice to the contrary. A smooth, fluid curve is going to be your best bet for good looks and easiest maintenance. Contriving it up with gimmicks will make it look more amateurish.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:44PM
emmarene

I like it as you have drawn it. Good idea.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:52PM
agardenstateof_mind

I like it, too, Kelby. I think I follow your drift when you say curvy or round edge - something soft ... just don't go overboard. Take a loooong garden hose and lay it out basically as you have drawn the lines, then adjust until you are happy with the lines.

As Yardvaark pointed out, a fluid curve is going to be easier for maintenance, and you certainly have the space for it.

Hope we'll see some "After" photos ;-)

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:46PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

The hose idea is always good, also the turning radius of your mower should match your beds. A nice easy curve that is easy to follow with the mower is going to save you time and also look better than any elaborate curves. But I think that's the type of look you already have laid out in your photos.
I like to have the widest part of the bed at the far end with something planted to stop your eye such as a fat evergreen or mass of shrubs. I prefer that to a bed that's largest at the midpoint.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™