Chicken eggs under broody goose?

lfrj(7)March 25, 2008

Could be our only hope. I have a mini-dome bator, and for the entertainment value it's brought our household, it was probably worth the $12, but we've had no success in hatching anything, but we're still "toying" with it.

We have no roo so finding fertile eggs has been solved through Craig's list. Last night we visited a gal who had the most stately Brahma Roo I'd ever seen, so the two fertile eggs she sold me hold even more hope.

(My memories of roosters reach back to my childhood, watching my older brothers imprisoned flock of mad, RIR's fighting and screeching, so overall roos have a hard time impressing me!)

Back home, we discovered one of our geese has gone broody. I could slip the chicken eggs under her if it would work.

Thoughts? .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

They may hatch OK, but as soon as they do you'd have to try to get them away from her because she's going to take them to the nearest water and disaster. Then again, chicken eggshells are much thinner than goose shells and she may crack them with her weight. Cheryl

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 3:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oberhasli1

We had one of those "mini-dome" incubators given to us years ago. I tried it once and the problem with it was every time you open it to turn the eggs, there goes all of your humidity out into the open. Humidity is sooo critical for hatching eggs. I finally bought one of the styrofoam incubators from one of the hatcheries, cost about $100.00, and it works great. I did buy the egg rotator to go with it as well.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™