2 new chickens but the girls are nasty to them

farmboygbMarch 14, 2009

I have 9 laying hens which have been together for a year & a half. My friend just got some new birds and gave 2 to me. They are about a year old. I brought them home & took them out to the coop but my other chickens will not stop picking on them so for now I put them in a cage. I really want to keep them but I don't want the other chickens to kill them or hurt them. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how get the others to accept them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhsuzanne(z5 SW-NH)

If you can keep them in their cage for a few days they should work it out for themselves. Being able to be around then without being able to touch them will help. In a couple of days all should be well.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 3:31PM
farmboygb

thanks for the response. I am going to go out now & check on them. My friend is bringing me a bigger pen to put them in so they will have more room for the 2 of them. Hopefully the others will except that they have new sisters.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 3:59PM
nhsuzanne(z5 SW-NH)

If you can keep them in their cage for a few days they should work it out for themselves. Being able to be around then without being able to touch them will help. In a couple of days all should be well.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 5:57PM
posy_pet(z6Mo.)

I read that if you had a separate pen to put them all in that worked.My daughter says put them in at night.I have not had very good luck doing any of it and was just thinking that would be a good question to ask.I moved all my chickens this last fall together and they had quite a rooster standoff.This was from 3 pens.Eventually they have sort of worked it all out.Posy_Pet

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 9:09PM
runningtrails

Velvet sparrow has some great advice on her pages for introducing new chickens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Velvet's new chicken page

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 6:41AM
kasswass

We had two chickens who did everything together, When we were in the garden we let them out and if one lost the other they would call for each other. Unfortunately one has died and the other one seems lost. Would it be better for her to have a companion and if so how would we introduce them to each other and as she is a Warren breed would the other have to be the same? Or will she settle down and forget her old friend? Liz

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 2:29PM
kasswass

We had two chickens who did everything together, When we were in the garden we let them out and if one lost the other they would call for each other. Unfortunately one has died and the other one seems lost. Would it be better for her to have a companion and if so how would we introduce them to each other and as she is a Warren breed would the other have to be the same? Or will she settle down and forget her old friend? They were both 2years old and came from the same farm. Liz

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™