getting going after being away

trisha_51(5 Nebraska)March 18, 2013

DH and I just moved back to the family farm in the mid-west after being gone for many, many years. This year will be 'catch-up'; learning where Mom had this and that planted. The crop land, about 230 acres is rented out. I want to get a couple dozen chickens for eggs and meat, and see if I can remember how to garden in this area! DH is having 'fun' remodeling a large old chicken house (35'x180'). The walls have started to bow so we're brainstorming how to straighten and stabilize them. He's always wanted a wood shop so here's his opportunity. Also hoping to fence off an area and get a couple feeder calves sometime. There's a butcher in a small town nearby. Meanwhile the house itself is in need of repair, too. Dad had gone to saying, 'I'll let the next guy fix it'. Now that is us! It's a mixed blessing because now we can do some remodeling, too. Just have to find the money. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
insteng

Congratulations on moving back to th farm. Once you get there you will find you will never run out of things that need to be done. We bought a place in the country and only get to go there on the weekends, and we never get a chance to just relax because there are always too many things to do.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cherig22(MO 6a/6b)

Give us some updates, how you are doing, and let us congratulate you!

Cheri

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
Need help with a ground cover grass that is fast growing
I'm looking for some input on what kind of wild grass...
broguearcher
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Sponsored Products
Worthy Leather Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Pros Best Five Minute Fan Brushed Nickel Fluorescent Two Light 52-Inch Ceiling F
$153.00 | Bellacor
Minka Lavery Hyllcastle Chrome 24" Wide Bath Bar
Lamps Plus
Designers Fountain 96189 Barcelona 9 Light Chandelier in Natural Iron Finish Mul
$418.00 | Hayneedle
Moorgate Outdoor Chaise
$529.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Jamesport Stripe Shower Curtain
Serena & Lily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™