I hung up the bat house
Man! That puppy is heavy!!!
At first I thought I would just climb the TV Antennae with one hand and carry it up in the other hand. I couldn't get more than two steps up with that thing.
I then thought I would tie a rope to it, climb up and pull it up behind me. I proceeded to do this but couldn't lift it off the ground.
My next great idea was to keep the rope wrapped around it a few times and also tie the other end around my shoulder and pull it up that way. I still couldn't pull it up more than one rung at a time. I climbed up one rung and then used all my strengh to heave it up to that rung and hook it over. Then I climbed another rung, stopped and heaved it up using a hand on the hook and the other hand on the rope, along with everything I had in me, to get it up to that next rung. I did this until it was about 15' off the ground.
It occurred to me at one point, with extremely tired arms, that if it fell off to the ground the !!!@?# rope would pull me off with it. Why did I tie that stupid thing around my shoulder!
I persevered up to about, possibly, maybe 15', taking a few rests along the way. I want it higher but I just had to quit there and then. I wasn't sure I had the strength left to get myself back down again, but I did.
Oh, also, when I was doing up the attachment where I decided to hook it on permanently, I lost a nut and two washers. I had to leave it there, as is, and climb back down to find the nut in 2' of snow, which I did. Then climb back up and put it on. After it was fastened securely, I realized that the rope was still attached to it. So I carefully undid one side and spent a great deal of time getting that !!@?$ rope off the bathouse.
The piece of wood that it is attached to also fell a couple of times and I had to climb back down during this process and get it, twice.
The piece of wood that slides into the bottom on the back to give it the slant outward that it needs, is still not attached. I forgot to slide it in place. It's sitting up there with the bat house.
Hubby will take it up a few more rungs for me and finish it off, so he says. WHEN this will happen is anybody's guess and I will probably do it myself when I get tired of being haunted by an unfinished job.
I didn't put shingles on the back. I stapled a loosely weaved nylon feedsack securely on the back at the top, to help keep out the wind and rain.
Don't anyone dare to tell me that the feedsack is not a good idea right now. I don't want to hear it.
Anyway, it was a great adventure!
I installed the window in the chicken house and moved the roosts closer to the wall this weekend. (I had Friday off too.)