Commercial Pigs - Male or Female??

astockwell92March 13, 2013

I am writing an essay about biotechnology for my Agriculture module at Uni.

I've found out that they can use sperm sexing to control what sex piglets are produced...but it didn't mention why this is good... I know that for rare breeds boars aren't very good for meat... but is it the same commercially? I can't find it anywhere!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendasue(6)

It might be good if you want to breed replacement females to pair up with a good boar sire you paid top dollar for...

It would also might be good if your market calls for intact boars, maybe a higher weight gain by gender, or unmarked females..or males..various markets pay higher prices for specific traits at certain times of the year.

A good source for highest sales prices (and what the demand is) would be slaughterhouses. I know there are a few major ones in PA and NY. You might try interviewing a few local ones, and compare to a few further out that may have a different market.

That comparison alone would be good material for your research paper, but you could also contact a few breeders and tell them you are writing a paper, most would be happy to share their market demands, from there a theory could be developed.

I imagine the costs of sperm sexing would be cost prohibitive for many small breeders of market animals, assuming AI would be needed also and can be pricey.

Most meat market farmers operate on a very small profit margin, I imagine only show/breeder/genetic improvement for replacement farmers would consider such a thing.

I don't raise pigs just applying my experiences from other livestock to the pig market.

Good luck.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fancifowl(5Pa)

Males are desirable on a hog feeding enterprise. They tend to be better gainers. Males are castrated at a young age before going on feed.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
Protecting chickens from hawks
Curious how you're protecting chickens/ducks from hawks,...
zootjs
Sponsored Products
AHB Treviso Bar Stool - 130849PP-L32
$249.95 | Hayneedle
Euro Style Tendy Bar Stool - Black - Set of 2 - EUS1004
$403.00 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Retractable Wall-Mount Pot Filler Faucet
Signature Hardware
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Illumine 52 in. 3-Light English Bronze Ceiling Fan with Cre
Home Depot
White Bedside Lamps: 24 in. White Fabric Shade Table Lamp CLI-LS-21979WHT
$98.99 | Home Depot
LumenAria Modular Cone Bath Bar by Justice Design Group
$261.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™