Apple Vinigar fo chickens!

natalie312(9)March 6, 2009

The person that i bought my chickens from said that she put apple vinigar in there water once every two weeks to clear there bodys out. Is that a good idea?

~~Natalie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickenista

Yes. It is a good idea. When my birds hatch I place ACV and honey in their water. The ACV alters the Ph of their systems and keeps cocci and other illnesses at bay.
I continue it into their adulthoods.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 7:29PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

I dont believe that but am very interested in links offereng proof.

I do believe that vinegar does offer some health benefits but I dispute that a slight intake of acid would reduce the cocci load. Most of these little thing we do por our pets serve to make US feel better and dont really do a lot for the animals. As long as nothing harmful is done it seems fine but I wouldnt fall for the often un scientific old farm tales to keep top health in my flocks.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 7:53PM
brendasue(6)

Ditto what Fancifowl said. I'm a non believer in some of the apple cider claims, but I do agree it has some benefits and in many cases can't hurt.
Brendasue

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 8:01PM
posy_pet(z6Mo.)

My old friend who taught me about chickens used apple cider vinegar in her chickens water.My nurse,sister in law said that vinegar is an antibacterial.The vinegar was pushed by the organic gardeners.Do you suppose they realized that it also helped keep the waterers free from bacteria and algae?Posy Pet

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 9:31PM
natalie312(9)

Do you think that it will hurt them??

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 10:11PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

vinegar wont hurt them, might be good for them even, it will rust zinc coated waterers. There are better options for controlling bacteria and algae. A product called Oxine is a good item , more efficient and a wider use. keeping utensils and pens clean is the best option.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 10:52PM
brendasue(6)

No it wont hurt them, and there are some benefits, I just don't agree with all the claims.
Brendasue.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 8:04AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

There isn't a medical problem that I know of that someone hasn't claimed ACV as a cure for, according to popular lore it is a panacea. I can't think of a good kind of cleaning out that ACV could do for chickens, its apple juice with out sugar, acetic acid, yeast bits, and acetobacter bits, people assume that since vinegar can be used for cleaning that it will clean out an animal, the digestive system deals with much more powerful pH swings however and can reduce that kind of effect.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™