Do you have a favorite type of chicken?

newgardenelfMarch 2, 2009

This is the first year that we are going to have chickens. I will order ten this season. I'm finding that people seem to have preferences. What's yours?

I'm thinking three types Rhode Island Reds, Comets, and one more.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runningtrails

lol! I like mine barbecued.

Severe cold weather or very warm? Do you want meat and egg birds?

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 9:35PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

I like all types but as for breeds the Hamburgs both large fowl and bantam are my favorites. I bred them in black large fowl and made bantams in black and white, also bred silver and gold pencilled bantam Hamburgs. Sumatras are also a favorite of mine with the Phoenix and light brown and red pyle Leghorns also.One our black Hamburg bantam cockerels was the national champion Hamburg 4 years ago. I much prefer bantams over large fowl in any breed.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 10:28PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Oven roasted! :) Haw.

Depends your climate and plans for use. Mine are for pets/eggs/eye candy, so I have all kinds.

Breeds and types I wouldn't be without are: bantams in general (fun, clever and friendly, and banties are ALL about high drama so they are loads of entertainment), Belgian d'uccles (sweet and friendly little jewels), Cochins (cuddley and make great mamas), Americaunas (calm, sweet and friendly, beautiful and lay pastel eggs), Silkies (great moms, cuddley and sweet), Polish (funny and beautiful), Jersey Giants (sweet and calm) and New Hampshire (talkative and curious, friendly).

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 3:55AM
runningtrails

Well, after that build up, I think I have to get a few bantams.

Mine are all half RIR and half white rock - dual purpose - egg and meat; but my rooster has a large enough comb and wattles that they get frostbite in extremely cold weather. I've had to put vaseline on them, poor little fella. If I had it to do again, I would probably go for a breed with very little comb for that reason only.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 6:42AM
marlingardener

Well, I have to cast my vote for black Australorps. We have seven hens, each with personality. They are reliable egg layers, very friendly (one has a "thing" for my husband), and are hardy. They stand up well to our Texas heat.
Research the breeds to get ones that match your climate.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 7:46AM
msjay2u(7)

hobby farms March 2008 issue has good breed info. Don't lnow if your library carries it but worth asking

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™