Ethel has a wet butt

msjay2u(7)March 13, 2009

Okay I obviously need some help here. Ethel, my 10 month old Weyondette has a case of pasty butt. Both her and Lucy had it but Lucy took a dirt bath a few days ago and she is clean as a whistle now. This stuff looks like tan mud or something. Stools are normal, no blood, no worms. I don't know what this is all over Ethels butt and I HOPE you don't tell me I have to touch it. I mean if I have to I will but I prefer it as a last resort, especially since I been sick anyway. ewwwl

I looked all over the Internet to find an answer but since I don't know what its called I don't know how to find the solution.

Thanks Guys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fancifowl(5Pa)

Its possible that she was egg bound and the egg was broken while yet inside her and then passed smearing her butt; its possible that an egg broke after being laid. Some times when 2 hens are in the same nest box this happens. It could also be som,ething else entirely?? just watch others don t startr picking at her and cause an open wound.

Bookmark   March 13, 2009 at 10:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msjay2u(7)

oh I hope thats it and I don't have to do anything but let it come off. Do chickens ever take water baths? Should I provide her some warm water??

Lucy and Ethel DO share a nesting box.

Bookmark   March 13, 2009 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Protecting chickens from hawks
Curious how you're protecting chickens/ducks from hawks,...
zootjs
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™