Muscovy Nesting Boxes

eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)March 16, 2010

Hello,

Do you think the Muscovies will nest in these? They are on the South side of the duck house. It can get really hot there. The tree between is a Desert King Fig, so they will get a little shade. Are they to open?

What do you think.

Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seramas

If your pond and area around the pond is protected against predators they will nest in them safely.

When I had them years ago we provided 2' x 2' x 2' box (with hinged lid for easy checking and cleaning) 1/2 filled with grass clippings or what ever we had. It had a 1' round hole and was on a 3' tall post. A 2" x 4" x 5' was mounted on the bottom of the nest box sticking out about 3' in front of the hole. They could fly up to the perch and get into the nest box keeping them safe from skunks, 'possums and such. The Male usually roosted just outside of the opening like a guard a night.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)

That sounds like a nice setup. I think I'll build one of those also. Gives them an option.

My orchard is enclosed with a 7ft deer fence and I have two Black Labs that patrol. Have not had much in the way of predators in years.

Thanks
Eric

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™