Leg mites

goatster(7bGa)April 30, 2008

I have a real problem with this and I need to treat everything, ground, roost, laying boxes. What can I use that isn't toxic to the chickens or us but will kill these things? I need to get my area free of them before my eggs hatch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yakimadn

Diatomaceous Earth. You can dust them with it, sift it over the area, mix it in the feed (to control internal parasites, and give animals an overall healthier look), make a sandbox for a dust bath with it mixed in. You can paint/dip the legs in cooking oil, vaseline, etc to smother existing mites a little quicker but the DE is your moneymaker.

Dave

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 7:32AM
goatster(7bGa)

I can see using it on the ground and nest boxes but what about the walls and the roost. Wouldn't that need treatment also? How much do I put in the food?

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 11:07AM
billie_ladybug(5b)

Go to your vet supply and get a little bottle of VetRX. It is 100% natural and works great. Plus it is ok to you for shows and such. Much quicker than DE. Sufficates them. Just my 2-cents

Billie

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 5:59PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

I've done lots of research on the various methods of getting rid of mites--scaley leg or otherwise, from Vaseline to DE to chemical sprays & dust. What I found out I put on my chicken info site, here:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

I personally favor the Adam Flea & Tick Mist With IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) spray. It does the job and KEEPS ON doing it for three months with one application. I had a little cochin hen who had a very stubborn scaley leg, the Adams spray cleared it up in one application and it hasn't come back since. It's also great for roost, nests, etc.

I like to use my little hand-held steamer machine to get in the nooks and crannies of the coop, roosts and nests first. It's totally non-toxic and kills the little buggers with high-pressure steam, which they cannot develop a resistance to. I follow it up with the Adams spray, and it works like a charm.

The Adams spray with IGR can be pricey, but since it keeps working for three months, it's a good investment.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Sponsored Products
Vig Furniture - Jazz - Black Modern Tufted Leather Sectional Sofa...
Great Furniture Deal
Bridgette Chair
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
Ray F1 Floor Lamp
Lightology
National Public Seating Science Lab Table 36 Inch H - Chem-Res Top - Dual Book C
Beyond Stores
Upton Home Adelie Mirrored End Table
Overstock.com
Cole & Co. Custom Collection 25" Clarissa Petite Modern Vanity
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™