Gardening with diabilities suggestions

mla2ofusDecember 2, 2012

I'm not in a wheel chair but I have a bad lower back and find it hard to bend for long. We are putting in raised vegetable beds. I have a kneeler with handles to help me get up or down and a rolling garden seat. I'm replacing an 8 foot square area of flower garden with a garden shed (attractive, looks like a playhouse) and also a 6x4 foot garden swing to shrink the care in another bed. Do you have any other suggestions or advise on low maintenance plantings or any other adjustments I could make. I love perennials but would like to replace some of them with a pretty easy careground cover. Is that a possibility? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I am physically disabled (have a severe balance problem and use a walker for mobility, amongst other problems). We have 1/4 acre and it's all garden :-) Fortunately DH is healthy so he's responsible for anything heavy! I'm a literal 'seat-of-the-pants' gardener! So, two very necassary pieces of garden equipment are my Lee Valley Tools gardener's pants with knee pads in built-in pockets, and rain pants to wear over them when the ground is wet! :-) Another key thing that defines my garden is a network of paths that both shape the garden and allow easy access to the beds. I plant very densely which helps with weed control. The backyard woodland/shade garden is the easiest to maintain; I'm gradually moving the sunny front garden in a similar direction by increasing the amount of shrubs and vines and reducing perennials that need deadheading. It's going to take a few more years to switch the emphasis for the front garden. The link below is to the on-line version of the maintenance manual I put together for our garden. I need to update it this winter for the changes we made this past summer and to list the planned changes for this coming summer, but you might find some of the information there useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maintenance maanual for my garden

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 10:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

Thank you for posting your site. I enjoyed reading about, and seeing your beautiful gardens. You have given me some good ideas. Thank you.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Feedback on my design/plans?
In a previous thread I asked for general suggestions...
Kristin
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Sponsored Products
Runner Rug: Delray Maizey Ivory 1' 10" x 7' 6"
$68.97 | Home Depot
Chevron Garden Shower Curtain
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Terrifying Trio Garden Statue - 1118
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Ames Steel Wheelbarrow - 1350-7033
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Natural/Terra 2 ft. x
$26.38 | Home Depot