Why are my cucumbers dying? (with photos)

almax881June 17, 2008

I am growing SpaceMaster, Bush Champion, and Picklebush cucumbers in an Earthbox. After doing very well initially, the leaves seem to be dying off and the cucumbers are curved.

We have been having hot weather for a while now (high 90s). Could this be the problem?

ORIGINAL CUCUMBERS

DYING CUCUMBERS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Very serious case of powdery mildew. It looks like that plant is too far gone to ever do well.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 2:17AM
alfie_md6

Powdery mildew in summer in Louisiana? I think it's bacterial wilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: bacterial wilt

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 10:26AM
tcstoehr

Dig up the roots of one of them. You may find something has been attacking the roots or lower stem. This would weaken the plant enough for molds and mildews to take over. I'd wager you would find an anemic root system on these dying plants.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 11:01AM
opal52(z7b GA)

They are planted in containers if I'm seeing correctly. Hot weather in direct sun, maybe the roots are cooking?? One of the containers looks kinda small, and maybe not getting adequate water? If they are in the EB's in the photo, water should not be an issue but excessive heat to the plants roots could be.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 11:39AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It was said: "Powdery mildew in summer in Louisiana? I think it's bacterial wilt."

Because I don't know anything about bacterial wilt, I'll give you that possibility.

But please look at the leaves, they are coated with PM.

Beyond that, I also saw they are in containers. And I think those comments (above) are right on.

But since the plant is essentially gone, yes, I would remove it (not pull it) and look at the roots. The answer may well be there.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 2:35PM
almax881

Thanks for the replies.

I'll remove a plant and see what's going on at the root level. I'll report back to what I find.

The cucumber plants are all in an Earthbox. (There are six plants. EB recommends only four, but I figured since these were the bush variety, I could fit more in there).

Oh, and I apologize for the enormous pictures. I thought they would be much smaller than that.

I'll report back.
Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 3:57PM
booberry85(5)

Have you seen any black & yellow bugs near the flowers - either striped or spotted - maybe a quarter inch in length? If so they are cucumber beetles - nasty little buggers. They are very good at spreading diseases to cucumber, squash & melon plants. You probably would have seen the bugs 2 weeks to a month ago.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 4:07PM
almax881

I dug up a cucumber. I didn't notice anything "off" with the roots. If it was powdery mildew, would something be in the roots?

I can't remember seeing any bugs near the plants. However, it is quite possible.

Stem shot. I didn't notice any sticky stuff, which is supposed to be an indictator of bacterial wilt.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 10:10AM
jimster(z7a MA)

It sure looks like powdery mildew on those leaves, and lots of it.

Jim

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 2:59PM
eplina

cucumber beetles

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 4:45PM
almax881

I've looked up cucumber beetles. And Yep, that is most likely the culprit cause I have definitely seem them around.

Now I know how to control things next year.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 6:32PM
tobaccodog

It's also possible you are having a severe case of mosaic virus but if is the culprit you should be having problems with tomatoes and peppers also . From looking at your photo's that pot your growing in is way to small and those plants have gotten a lot of stress on them. I suggest planting em over you still have pleanty of time. Just plant them elseware and in a differnt larger disinfected container

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 6:52PM
cjs_garden(9)

almax, My cucumbers look just like yours!! Did you ever find out for sure what it was, and how can I prevent this next time? Thanks!

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 12:22PM
anonymous_yahoo_com

OMG people. Downy mildew. Looks like a pretty classic case. Powdery mildew there too, but I don't think it's what killed 'em

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™