A little free space, what can I plant there?

MelissaHess(5)June 11, 2012

I have a little space in the garden that is bare right now. It's next to my zucchini and squash plants, and so I've got enough room for a couple more of those...but I wanted to try something else. Any suggestions of something to grow similar in size to those, so fairly compact, that I could plant this late and still get something out of? I'm in west central Illinois...zone 5.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
defrost49

Are you being realistic about how much room the squash plants will take up? I always underestimate. What about kale? It can get pretty bushy. I grew lacinato last year. I planted gilfeather turnips in mid-June last year and they did fine.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 6:44AM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

Radishes are quick, you could harvest them before the squash takes over the space.

Lettuces could be picked from between the squash leaves.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 9:21AM
ltilton

Radishes and lettuce won't do well seeded in hot weather, if the OP is having it now. Is there enough space for a little patch of corn?

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 9:34AM
noinwi

Maybe bush cukes or an early bush melon?

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:42PM
MelissaHess(5)

The heat and current drought we are having isn't good for lettuce...a few of my squash have reached full spread and I've planted them before, so I know how big they get. I have a lot of cukes already and I live in sweet corn country...but maybe some radishes! Also, I don't have a lot of plant shops around me that carry odd/non traditional plants, so I don't have much selection. Kale might be good, if I can find a kale plant to buy! Thanks for the advice!!!

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:47PM
ltilton

Beans would be good to plant about now.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:26PM
lizbeth_pa

You could do some beets. I would like to try some beets myself! My neighbors have beets growing in their garden now and also radishes. Maybe you could do horseradish if you like that sort of thing!

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:27PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Is there room for a teepee of climbing beans? Small foot print but lots of vertical growth. You could direct sow half a dozen beans and they'd be up in no time if it's warm where you are.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™