Hatching chicks

chickluv(5)April 28, 2013

This is my first time using an incubator. I had one chick pip on day 20, it has been very active and peeping loudly but was not making any progress after the initial pipping. After about 45 hours I finally removed the shell from the head and it emerged. I wasn't sure it would survive but it slowly seems to be gaining strength and starting to stand and wobble around the incubator for brief periods. I see from previous posts that the chicks absorb the yolk and don't really need food or water for the first 3 days but since it took this one so long to emerge, how soon should I try to move it to the brooder box and offer food and water? It also has a piece of the sack stuck to it's back and right wing, do I leave it alone or try to remove it? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treasurificgal(z8A CA)

It's always best not to help them. The healthy chicks have no trouble getting out of the shell. I am almost always sorry when we have helped. The chick should be removed to the brooder by the 2nd day. Good luck with your hatch.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:07PM
chickluv(5)

Thanks for the response! The chick is doing great, in the brooder and peeping up a storm!

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:21AM
Chicklover2246

Check out Backyardchickens.com someone always seems to be quick to respond to questions.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
shihtzu4su
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Giving bones to a dog
We got a couple of large soup bones (no meat on them...
carmen_grower_2007
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™