eggs safe after Sulmet?

claraserena(4)April 4, 2009

Three weeks ago we medicated our chickens with Sulmet. When will the eggs be safe to eat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msjay2u(7)

According to www.drugs.com:
residue Warnings
DO NOT MEDICATE CHICKENS OR TURKEYS PRODUCING EGGS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. TO AVOID DRUG RESIDUES IN EDIBLE FLESH WITHDRAW MEDICATION FROM CHICKENS AND TURKEYS TEN (10) DAYS PRIOR TO SLAUGHTER FOR FOOD.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 9:26PM
claraserena(4)

I had read about the 10 day wait before slaughter. But what about eggs? This would apply for any medication of a chicken--when would traces of the meds be out of the eggs? WE are getting SO many eggs now and friends who buy eggs are missing them!

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 7:17AM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

I always wait 2 weeks (14 days) before eating eggs again after ANY medications. We've never had any problems. :)

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 1:59PM
msjay2u(7)

I have 2 sets of chickens. The baby chicks are eating medicated grower feed and the laying chicks are eating non-medicated layer feed. Lately the big ones are eating the little ones feed. I just thought about this tonight. SHould I be eating those eggs since the layers are eating the medicated grower feed? What happens to the eggs and what effects will it have on the human who eats these eggs?

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 11:18PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

The chicken's cannot have more sulmet in them than you feed them, If 10 days is enough to clear the meat for consumption but 2 is not then its a safe bet to say that the chickens are clearing it from their bodies. After 14 days enough is probably going to be cleared that there will be very little left in the bird as a whole, and there for very little left to be put in the eggs.

Medicated feed for laying birdsis probably not good for you. typically they are medicated to prevent coccidiosis, which is caused by a protazoan, that has a body chemistry surprisingly similar to that found in you and I.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 7:24PM
dianeandnuggie_yahoo_com

uh i just ate 2eggs from my hens eating pen pals starter grower medicated hope ill b ok

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™