Training ducks to come when called

zootjs(zone 5 MA)April 3, 2010

Hello,

I understand that you can train ducks to come when called by calling them and then giving them cracked corn, etc., when they come. But don't they need water with their food?

My goal is to call them and have them come into the barn at night, but their water is outside the barn. So, if I feed them the treat in the barn, they would have to go outside for a drink, but I want them to stay inside. I don't like having their water in the barn because it becomes such a mess.

Thoughts?

(I've got one duck, but ten more are in the mail....)

--Jonathan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavender_lass(4b)

I've never raised ducks, but all animals need water. I'd suggest putting a smaller water container in the barn, which can be easily changed. Your vet should be able to give you more information on how much water your ducks will need and how often they need to drink.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 6:18PM
zootjs(zone 5 MA)

Lavender, just to clarify, they have a whole pond to drink outside, as well as a bucket of water that's changed daily. I'm just talking about them coming in at night.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 10:09PM
lazy_gardens

Ducks need access to drinking water, certainly, but I have seen them eat without drinking immediately. As long as you are handing out a TINY amount of corn they will be OK until morning. Or, have a water container there but take it out of the barn with you.

Start during the day when they are standing next to you, call whatever you chose as the words, and toss them a bit of corn. Repeat for a few days, moving further away.

Then try it in the evening ... call and toss a tiny bit of corn a couple of times ... until you are standing in the barn's door and they come in at the sound.

They learn fairly quickly if it involves food.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 9:25AM
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

If you have room in your barn, put a water pan IN a small kids pool. Don't put water in the pool. The ducks will make their mess in the pool, which you can take outside and hose off now and then.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 10:08AM
laturcotte1

We have geese and I would love never to give them water inside but that is not possible. I have a large black rubber water dish. The kind you would use for goats and I fill a small water bucket and put it inside the larger dish. No matter what, they will bathe in it even if it's pulling the water out and trowing it on themselves. Guess that's why they call them water fowl, hahaha.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 12:09PM
WhtRos(USDA z5a IL)

My ducklings are only 3 weeks old now. I got them March 17. Are they old enuf to eat cracked corn? Thanx, Barbara

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™