HAVE: have, but more of a query

mary grether(7/8)March 23, 2013

I have found some old seeds that I stored and forgot about. My question is how long can seeds be kept, are they no good? some I have are between 2-5 years old. They have been in the dark and dry.

I hope I put this on the right place! But I'd really like an answer before I put these seeds on here! should I throw them away??

your answers will be greatly appreciated, oh and if you want to try these old seeds, I would be glad to send you some, but first an answer please....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LullabyF360

They should be good if they have been stored properly (right enough temp, no moisture) , though the germination rate has dropped. It also depends on what kind of seeds they are. For example, I've always heard corn is good for 5-10 years, while other veggies are only good for 1-3 years. I suggest doing a little research on the types you have.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:00AM
mary grether(7/8)

Thanks LullabyF360!

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:07AM
gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)

I just planted lettuce seeds from 2010 and had full germination.... the seeds were in a cardboard box that lived in Pennsylvania in the damp or humid garage, then moved to Delaware last year and survived a never ending heatwave and humidity in the garage & was planted 3 weeks ago.... has to be 100% germination... Mesclun mix & Black Seeded Simpson in record time. They're about 3 inches tall already!

Today I planted Red Beets, Kohlrabi (purple & white), carrots & a dozen pea seeds. These are all of varying ages... from 2010 & 2011. Fingers crossed they're all happy in their new homes!

I'm anxious to hear of other's results as well... I've got entirely too many pkgs of lettuce. Not sure what I've been thinking for the past few years of buying! It'll take me a few years to get them all planted.

Happy Gardening!

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Need vege seeds to get me started
In search of vegetable seeds. Kale,spinach,radishes,etc...
dkkemp
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
NEWBIE ALERT! How do I get started when I have no seeds to trade ?
Anyone just want to share seeds for a SASE??
Mechelle Dunn
Wanted: Feverfew seeds
I am looking for feverfew seeds if anyone has any....
nottougly
HAVE: Tomato, want Hollyhock
I have these tomato seeds and am looking for different...
aaaccc
Sponsored Products
Blue My First Alarm Clock
$29.99 | zulily
Textured Lines Rug 6' x 9' - MUSHROOM
$1,799.00 | Horchow
SLV Lighting | Light Eye Wall / Ceiling Light
$248.00 | YLighting
Chadwick Polished Nickel 8-Inch One Light Mini Pendant
$210.00 | Bellacor
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Beige, 3'3" x 6'1" Runner Rug M1740-508
Darya Rugs