How to avoid mildew on peas?

dab07June 10, 2012

My peas were drooping over off the trellis, pulling it down, so I ran twine around them to hoist them up But now I'm worried that they might be tied too close together and, with all the rain and damp weather we've been having, this is going to cause mildew before they're ready to harvest. I planted them about 2" apart, btw. This isn't too close, is it? It's what I've always done, but the growth is exuberant this year. I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid this, and if there's anything I can do about it now before mildew starts. I can untie them, but I don't know how I'd keep them from falling over then. Any ideas?

And if they do get powdery mildew, which they always eventually do, does that stay in the soil after the vines are pulled out, affecting a following crop?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Powdery mildew stays in the plant debris, not in the soil. So the idea is to clean up very well when removing the spent plants.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Slimy_Okra(2b)

You could try spraying the biological antagonist Serenade, which in my experience works pretty well against powdery mildew even as a curative agent so it would definitely work as a preventative. It's less effective against more aggressive fungal diseases like white mould.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™