hatching duck eggs

brothergoomApril 12, 2012

I have 10 Cambell hybrid eggs I found under a hen by my pond. I have a drake and four 10 month old hens. There were 15 but I marked and left 3 in the nest and fed the other two to the dogs:), that way I could look/smell them. My question is this..... I'm going to put these in my incubator, Do I start my 28 day count from today or from say 5 days ago as that is when some were probably laid.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mrmk

You have to start from the first day of incubation. Eggs are laid one a day until they are all laid, but not incubated until the last one is laid so they all hatch the same day. Sounds like the clutch is complete, as most lay 12-14. I would start the count from the day you saw her sitting on them for a while. She won't sit there except to lay the eggs until they are all ready or else the incubation will start. If you know the exact day she laid the last egg, that would be day 1.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brothergoom

Thanks Mrmk. Are you a duck fancier? If so are you aware of a way to encourage nesting in a particular place, or am I destine to spend my limited free time searching for the nests in the brush. I have two different nest shelter built that are shunned.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™