Wood Fence-removing 16' boards from posts

steelskies(5)April 1, 2013

How to get the oak boards off the yellow pine posts without wrecking the boards. The oak boards are nailed on with those nails that have the ridges, so they grab into the posts good. But now I have to take some of those boards down, since I'm moving the fence. How do I do this without wrecking the boards. There is no way we can just pull out the nails, they are in there really tight. The posts are the southern pine, which is a very hard wood.

Once in a great while you can pound on the back of the board to loosen it a little bit, but many times, the nail head breaks when you try to pull the nail out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ApprenticeGardener(7b or 8)

@steelskies--I'm assuming that the boards are running parallel to the ground. If this is the case, try gently pounding the flatter side of a large crowbar between the post and the back side of the board. You want to try to get a nail shaft into the "V" of the end of the bar. Rock the bar back and forth until you loosen the whole piece (nail and board). Continue doing this until all the nails securing the board are free.

An alternative to this if: 1) you also have to move the posts and 2) the current posts are 8' apart is to simply saw off the ends of the boards as close to the nails as possible (use a circular saw set to the depth of the boards and make a plunge or straight cut depending on the width of the board). You will lose a little board length, but you can reset the posts a little closer together to save as much wood as possible. If the posts are closer than 8', I would not recommend this.

Best Wishes--Carl

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 1:31PM
lazy_gardens

Loosen the boards a bit by tapping a prybar between it and the post, then cut the nail with a sawzall.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:45PM
insteng

I was going to suggest the same thing. A sawzall will work good to cut the nails.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
Chickens and Guineas Together
I would like to get 2 chickens and 2 guineas to wonder...
srks72
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
Protecting chickens from hawks
Curious how you're protecting chickens/ducks from hawks,...
zootjs
Sponsored Products
Liberty Harbor View Cocktail Table In Linen
Beyond Stores
Mailbox Post Decorative Base
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
New England Coastal Large Post Lantern
Lightology
New Cat Condos Triple Cat Scratcher - 110030 - BEIGE
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Coalesse | SW_1 Ottoman
YLiving.com