Planting strip outside fenceline

minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)December 31, 2012

We're on the western side of the road, and the dirt outside the fence gets ONLY morning sun, until noon. After that it's bright but shaded for a few hours, and than it's darker shade as the evening approaches. In the summer, it's HOT out there in the morning, and the dirt is rock hard. There's about 18" of viable dirt between fence and asphalt. Any actual planting would really need to be done now, when the rains have made it possible for me to dig actual holes in the ground...

On the sunniest end of the fence line, I've got some prolific bright yellow irises, which will spread to be solid in a few years, going by their past performance in other locations. The rest of the fence line gets more shade as there are more trees on the other side of the road, and I'm in the redwoods, so those trees are TALL... Of course, where it's shadier it's also not so brutally hot. What else could I plant out there? I've done some weeding, and not much but grass has grown out there in the two Springs we've been here. I spread poppy seeds, and other assorted flower seeds last summer, but nothing that looks 'flowery' has popped at all, and as you can see from the picture, grass has come up.

What can else I plant out there besides the irises? Could I put in some ground cover roses? I can't put full sized shrubs out there; there isn't space and people do occasionally walk out there. It needs to tolerate the summer morning heat, but also the afternoon shade.

If this should be in a different forum, tell me and I'll post it there.

Thanks,

Melinda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

This could be a good spot for grasses or bunches of Carex species. Some grasses might include Leymus condensatus 'Canyon Prince' , Stipa arundinacea, Muhlenbergia dumosa, Carex arundinacea, Carex morrowii 'Evergold', Carex divulsa, Acorus gramineus 'Ogon', Juncus patens. Flowering things might include Coleonema pulchrum 'Sunset Gold', Euphorbia characias, Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve', Helleborus argutifolius, Kniphofia uvaria or Kniphofia thompsonii, would all do well there, and all are tough enough to take some abuse.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 1:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Native grasses, the clumping kind? Daylilies?

One trick is to plant something that spreads by underground runners INSIDE the fence, so the parent plant isn't getting stomped on.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™