Can a litter of rabbits have more than one father?

poisondartfrogApril 9, 2009

I visit this forum often when I have a question about my little flock of chickens but have never had to post. A search always brings up a helpful thread. Thanks everyone!

I can't find an answer to my rabbit question though. I would be grateful if anyone can help.

Today I placed my pedigreed New Zealand in her "mates" cage for breeding while I was working in the garden. When I went back to the hutch an hour later I found that one of the panels I have dividing a long hutch into individual compartments had failed, and a Dwarf Hotot buck was in the cage with her as well. If a litter results, their lineage will be questionable and they will have to be pets only, but I am curious as to what kind of litter to expect. If she was mated first by the New Zealand and later by the Hotot, could some of her kits belong to each potential father?

Thank you,

Alana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Nearly all mammals that have multiple offspring per pregnancy are capable of having multiple fathers per litter. Some mammals actually produce castes of sperm that serve no function in impregnating a female but instead interfere with sperm from competing males.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 9:04PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

Having 2 uteri they can have litters at different times also, this happens sometimes when test mating after 7 days or so. thats why palpating is the better way to determine pregnacies.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 9:29PM
poisondartfrog

Thank you both! I knew this was possible in dogs and cats. I never had occasion to think about it in terms of rabbits before but it makes sense.

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™