Setting hen -- Tragedy

johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)April 22, 2010

As it turned out, the setting hen did not accept the new babies.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Tragedy at Busy Solitude Farm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

Oh that is so sad. Poor little guys but how were you to know that she would change her mind.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 10:13PM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

Thanks, Bee. One chick survived. I bought her three friends today -- as long as I'm heating the heat lamp, I might as well fill up the space a bit. They all seem to be ok together.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 5:53PM
gardengalrn(5KS)

Johanna, don't be so hard on yourself, these things unfortunately happen sometimes. Glad you got the little one some friends. I have 20 layers and 20 meat birds in my garage under a lamp right now. The layers will go in with the big girls at some point and the meat birds will go into their own pen that DH constructed in the coop. I'm excited about it because after the meat birds are done, I thought to use it for any broodies I might have. Last year I let a Buff sit on some eggs and my first clue that they were getting ready to hatch was finding a dead chick on the coop floor:( I knew they must be getting ready but my lack of action caused that. I moved all the eggs and the mother to a different part of the coop and she hatched out 4 or so chicks. Sadly, only a brother and sister pair made it to adulthood since momma and the others were eaten by something. Lori

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™