duckling help!!!

abby593April 25, 2010

i found a baby duckling 2 days ago. i have it under a heat lamp in a large box with wood chips, game bird starter, and a chick water despencer. he only stay on one side of t he bow and is always knocking over his water-er and soaking his bedding so he shivers, what should i do? he also acts like he cant walk. he'll take a few steps then lay back down, is he sick? can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong and how i can help this duckling?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamaduckie

In the brooder he may be too hot or cold, he will move away from the light if too hot, or directly under it if too cold.
Make him a mash with boiled egg yolk and unmedicated chick starter and lukewarm water. Put a drop on or inside his bill. Show him where the water is by putting his bill into it a couple of times and trying to get him to drink.
The other thing - you could cuddle him by wrapping him in a wool blanket and holding him against yourself, this would also keep him warm enough and he'll be happier to snuggle with someone rather than be all by himself

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilbitfarms

you might consider getting him another duckling. chicks and ducklings should never be alone. they always need at least one other play mate to help incourge them to grow properly.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Chickens and Guineas Together
I would like to get 2 chickens and 2 guineas to wonder...
srks72
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
shihtzu4su
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Sponsored Products
Piyo Piyo Feeding Set I - AMEA052
$39.95 | Hayneedle
Piyo Piyo Bathing Gift Set - GS-BGS
$29.50 | Hayneedle
Duckling by ARCHITECTMADE
$79.00 | Lumens
Otto Fan by Stadler Form
$199.99 | Lumens
Piyo Piyo Training Table Set - AMEA056
$44.95 | Hayneedle
Duckling Figurine Set
$13.99 | zulily
Green Duckling Hooded Towel Set
$11.99 | zulily
Puddleducks´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Early Child
$255.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™