duckling help!!!

abby593April 25, 2010

i found a baby duckling 2 days ago. i have it under a heat lamp in a large box with wood chips, game bird starter, and a chick water despencer. he only stay on one side of t he bow and is always knocking over his water-er and soaking his bedding so he shivers, what should i do? he also acts like he cant walk. he'll take a few steps then lay back down, is he sick? can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong and how i can help this duckling?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamaduckie

In the brooder he may be too hot or cold, he will move away from the light if too hot, or directly under it if too cold.
Make him a mash with boiled egg yolk and unmedicated chick starter and lukewarm water. Put a drop on or inside his bill. Show him where the water is by putting his bill into it a couple of times and trying to get him to drink.
The other thing - you could cuddle him by wrapping him in a wool blanket and holding him against yourself, this would also keep him warm enough and he'll be happier to snuggle with someone rather than be all by himself

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilbitfarms

you might consider getting him another duckling. chicks and ducklings should never be alone. they always need at least one other play mate to help incourge them to grow properly.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™