mud season at last-help

jennybog(zone 5)April 4, 2009

Well mud season in Maine is in full swing.Everything here is muddy. I was hoping for some advice. I would like to get a wood chipper and make a path to the barn. Also we have dirt floors in the barn and the parts that arnt covered with stall mats can get pretty muddy.Out in my corral i would also like to put some so the mini donkey dont go shoulder deep. Sorry this is long. What do you think? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msjay2u(7)

do u have a lot of wood 2 chip?

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 9:20PM
posy_pet(z6Mo.)

I put leaves in my chicken yard and that helped a lot.Also husband put wood chips on the path.Would they get in the hooves of the animals?Posy Pet

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 10:34PM
jennybog(zone 5)

Yes we have ton of pine trees. We live in the pine tree state. LOL It wouldnt get in there hooves as much as everyone says it will make a mess. We have to come up with a solution for paths. Cheap! and workable Thanks Jenny-Living a DREAM one day at a time.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 8:41AM
goodhors(z5 MI)

Chips might work for short term, but they also are trying to break down to the basic fiber. So with water added, they are composting as they lay. They actually make the situation worse in the long run, keeping the mud going, losing your firm base of dirt.

Do you have any extra stall mats, you could put on some chips, to use for short term dry spot?

Not sure what machines you have, or could rent. We get a Bobcat type, scrape off the muddy dirt of barnyard or paddock and pile it up. Get down to firm dirt for animals to stand on. Some folks say a wood edging maybe with 2"x10" around a 12ft x 12ft or 12ft x 36ft area. Size depends on how many animals, then fill the inside with crushed stone, for a standing location that dries quickly, does not get muddy. They keep the poop picked up, so stone doesn't get turned into muck and quit draining.

I use the piled up dirt as fill in garden beds, washouts, all over. Horses might play on it, but dirt comes in handy for many uses. Once piled up, dirt seems to dry well, doesn't stay a mucky mess.

The chip spreading in paddocks and barnyards just does not seem to work well. Area gets very slippery when wet not frozen, stays mucky and deep, like spreading barn manure in the mud. Might seem OK in the frozen times, but really delays ground getting solid in the long run. Constant breakdown of the organic material, chips and manure.

Chips can work on paths, just not great in barnyards or mud holes on the farm. You have to start with solid dirt, put down a good gravel base to keep solid footing. And scrape and replace the base, every few years. Using the geotextile fabrics under gravel base, helps prevent base disappearing into muck with use.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Sponsored Products
AC 01 Alarm Clock - Anodized Aluminum - Punkt.
$195.00 | HORNE
Italtrike Pilot 200 Series Double Seat Tricycle - 200-10
$300.99 | Hayneedle
Mother Earth Sculpture - GOLD
$1,035.00 | Horchow
Echo Garden Rug 8'6" x 11'6" - PENNY
$3,389.00 | Horchow
Sisal Tan and Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$238.00 | Bellacor
Fleur-di-Lis Antique Silver 28-inch to 48-inch Curtain Rod
$23.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: