Sexing chicks

ginni77(z 5)April 19, 2008

Does anyone have any methods for telling if a chick is a male or female? I'm interested in everything...even old wives tales. The chicks in question are way beyond vent sexing. They are 3 and 4 weeks old.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Do you know what breed(s) they are? Sometimes you can tell by combs--roo boys will have larger, redder combs than the girls--and by attitude. Roos will be more forthcoming than the girls, too. Also, click on this link to the section of my site for chicks for more tips, and scroll down to 'Sexing Chicks':

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHensBroodiesChicks.htm

The friendly, beautiful birds that are your favorites will be roos, I can practically guarantee it. :)

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 1:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginni77(z 5)

Thanks a million Velvet! I will check out your site.

I have 2 Buff Orps (lost two of them)*, 1 Barred Rock (lost two of them)*, 6 Easter Eggers and I have 4 Golden Comets (no problems there...I have all pullets in the sex-link chicks). They aren't old enough to tell about their combs yet. I did notice a couple of the EE's have very wide combs and I've heard that if they have one ridge in their comb, it's a pullet ...three ridges and it's a roo. I can't keep the roos since I live in town, and I'm trying not to get too attached to the roos. LOL You're right, all the ones that seem the friendliest and boldest are most likely roos. :(

*These came from the hatchery rather weak and puny and they just never rallied.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™