Owl boxes...anyone ever put them up?

grullablue(5)April 8, 2009

Do they attract owls? I've been researching them a little bit....just wondering if they are worth the work (if built) or expense (if bought). Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yakimadn

What do you have in mind? What kind of owls? Owls are pretty social here (big white faced ones). They like a clear path to swoop in and out. Most folks around here just have holes and a pirch in the gable of the barn with a box inside. I've seen boxes in one form or another on top of poles or roofs also. Another common companion is Kestrel falcons. They like the gable holes with just a shelf inside.

Dave

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 3:11PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

These people would probably know.

Since owl boxes are essentially bird houses I doubt you will have much of a problem, assuming you have the right kind of owls about.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 5:05PM
sowngrow(TX8)

Owl boxes do work if they're built to the correct size with the right size entrance hole and hung at the right height. Screech owl boxes can be made from one 1' x 8' board. Do a search to find the proper specs. for the type of owl you're looking to attract to the box. That will give you an idea of the amount of wood you'll need. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™