Privacy plants zone 8b central CA

guerrero69December 16, 2012

Hello all, as a new gardner im in desperate need of solutions. I have a small yard with a small pool and spa. I have no plants or trees so id like some ideas on what to plant. I want low maintenance, high privacy and very inexpensive. I have attached a picture of my back yard. Any and all ideas are welcome, please help!! Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Along with your criteria of low maintenance, high privacy and very inexpensive you may also want to consider using plants that are practical around a swimming pool, this means plants that are relatively clean in regards to shedding or have large leaves that are easy to pick up and won't clog an intake filter like lots of small falling flowers and leaves do.

Several palms are fairly clean in regards to shedding and can give you some privacy. As far as the expense goes, I suppose that is a relative term.
Some varieties to research would be Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis and Syagrus queen palm.

You could do a dense planting of cannas between the trunks and might even have room for some succulents.

If palms are not your thing then you might consider some large espalier type trees such as Magnolia little Gem or possibly some narrow growing hedge plants such as pittosporums or podocarpus

I think it would be a good idea to visit your local nursery and see what they have to recommend for your particular neighborhood/ climate zone.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 6:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

It won't take much to block the view of the pool from those houses. How about an arbor to the rear, with some lattice and vines?

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™