More pumpkin troubles: yellowing leaves...

carol_71(Netherlands z8)June 6, 2007

Well, IÂm a bit closer to give up for this first season with groiwing pumpkins, but not just yet. Two days ago I posted about a suspicious bug, without yet establishing with certainty if it was a once off or what. However, these yellowing leaves are a symptom of "something" that is not right with these seedlings. What might it be? Low mineral nutrients?

TheyÂre in a good quality seedstarting mix, which comes with fertilizer for 6 to 8 weeks long, so no added fert. yet.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol_71(Netherlands z8)
    Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 7:30AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi Carol - Yellowing leaves on seedlings usually indicates excessive watering. If the soil is kept too wet the roots can't get the needed oxygen. That would be my best guess based on your picture so you might try to let them dry out a bit more and then cut back on the watering. See if that helps. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 1:46PM
carol_71(Netherlands z8)

Thank you so much digdirt!! I'll let them sleep inside then tonight, so that they don't get the moisture of the dew.
BTW, with DH we found very funny your nickname!
See you around
Carol

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 2:06PM
Karen Pease

To check your plants for overwatering -- and you may be hesiant to do this, but it's for their own good -- gently dig up a single root and check its color. Usually, if a root is light in color, it's healthy. If it's brown or black, it indicates overwatering. If you don't want to dig, smell the soil; it may smell sour. Or it may not. Digging is the most reliable way to tell.

In general, feel the soil before you water. If it's moist, don't water it. :)

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 3:58PM
carol_71(Netherlands z8)

Thank you karenrei! Saw your message and did what you advised (it was easy because theyÂre still in their pots). No dark roots, nor smell, however on the heavy/wetter side. I donÂt know, since today I sprayed them with an organic (but not homemade) fungal disease preventative of a good brand they sell here. IÂll keep you posted on the destiny of my poor seedlings.
Carol

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
More efficient planting
Found this in the Oklahoma Gardening forum... tube...
nugrdnnut
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Asparagus sprouts getting TALL
Planted them on 3/9, in small 2-inch pots, potting...
ilovecucumbers
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™