Heart worm treatment for dogs

gatorsrule1976May 2, 2014

I have been researching the use of Ivomec (Ivermectin for Cattle & Swine) for the treatment of heart worms in dogs. I have read several threads and posts about the dosages, but the question I have is about Doxycycline. I know it is given together with Ivomec for the treatment of the adult worms, but is there another antibiotic that would work just as well? Such as amoxicillin or tetracycline?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corn_squeezer(6)

You don't give antibiotics for worms, you give antibiotics for bacterial infections. Fishflex is what you can get for antibiotic for dogs off label use. It is Cephalexin.

I never personally had to deal with a case of adult HWs but I know you don't want to kill them all at once or they could block up the heart and kill the dog.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 1:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
savannarose(9)

Treatment & prevention of heartworms are 2 different things. Like the 1st reply, be careful if there's are existing heartworms.
Prevention's easier. I just buy ivermectin sheep drench for my dog.You can google around for the dosages.It will vary by weight.
According to our vet, it's now recommended to dose every 25 days for prevention.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
Water Well Question
I have an old water well on my property. It was originally...
srks72
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™