Looking for fish fingerlings near Dallas or Corsicana/Waco

babalubirdMay 29, 2008

We want to experiment raising catfish fingerlings and Tilapia. Therefore I need a very small supply right now.

Does anyone know where I can buy a small number either here near our home in Dallas/Ft. Worth area or our farm between Corsicana, Waco, and Hillsboro?

Thank you.

Connie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Connie,
Contact your county extension agent who will be able to tell you about suppliers. Tilapia are tropical, and won't survive even our mild winters (we were told this when we thought we might want to introduce a few into our pond). Have you considered bass? They are not as common as catfish, and if you want to sell or have paid fishing--bass attract more fishermen than catfish.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 11:41AM
babalubird

Well, if I can ever catch him, I will, but so far he hasn't returned our phone calls.

I'm looking to make the fish part of what I hope will eventually be part of an aquaponic system so they will be housed in a greenhouse in some kind of above=ground tubs. We want the fish nutrient and a small supply of fish to eat for ourselves right now. A long-range goal is extras to sell for additional farm income if we find we can raise them successfully from our experiments.

We hope to have a pond dug, but so far, no luck and so many other projects taking priority over that expendature.

Thanks though. If we do get the pond dug, I will think carefully about the bass because of your suggestion.

Connie

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 2:26PM
marlingardener

Your agent isn't returning your calls? Wow! Ours is a great guy--very on top of things and helpful. Sorry that the suggestion isn't working.
Try Texas A&M--the extension agents are affiliated with the University, and there are all sorts of Q & A sites for A & M.
Also, try your local Farm Bureau--they will be able to help you with firms who dig ponds, supply fish, and a lot of other things you need.
Aquaponics is a fascinating field. Please keep us posted on your progress. We wish you the best of luck, and never hisitate to ask questions on this site!

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Protecting chickens from hawks
Curious how you're protecting chickens/ducks from hawks,...
zootjs
Chickens and Guineas Together
I would like to get 2 chickens and 2 guineas to wonder...
srks72
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Sponsored Products
Feeling Riveted Trays
$109.99 | Dot & Bo
Sugarcane Bay Square Box with Lid
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Royal Blue 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Elegant Embrace Cream 9' 2" x 12' 5"
Home Depot
Somerton Dwelling Sophisticate Floral Arm Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Playa Way 7 Drawer Dresser - Gray - ENLB1490
$569.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™