my hens have worms!

beeliz(2)May 2, 2008

Yesturday I had my hens dewormed because first,,they were due,and second I found a couple roundworms in their poop! I've never seen them in their poop before,,really gross. Now that they were dewormed,,will they be ok? And can we get these worms too? Is it a bad sign that they had worms? Is their area contaminated now?? I can't change the place they stay in the yard...HELP!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carmen_grower_2007(4/5)

We use food grade Diatomaceous Earth in their feed and sprinkle it on their bedding and in their nest boxes. Also have piles of it in the hen house for dust bathing. Our cats get it also. Have never had a problem with worms in any of our animals.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 8:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Good for you for taking action right away and worming them. :) You know, if your hens free range and the area they are in can also be visited by roaming cats or wild birds, you can never really be free of the chance of a parasite infestation. Once it's in the dirt, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it--earthworms can carry certain worms, too. Technically, yes, you can get roundworms--but chances are, unless your birds are infested and sharing filthy living quarters with you, you won't.

Keep your birds healthy and happy, so they can naturally resist parasites, and treat for parasites as needed.

And yeah, finding the worms in their poop is darned disgusting. :( Once you worm them, you should see DEAD (paralyzed, actually) worms in their poop. Don't forget to worm again in 3 weeks to catch the hatching worms, before THEY can lay eggs and reproduce. Seeing the worms or mites always gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I always worm and spray for mites at the same time. I go over the coop, roosts and nests with my hand-held steamer, then spray everything (including the birds) with the Adams Flea & Tick Mist with IGR. I figure if I'm getting my chickens peeved at me, I may as well do it right. :) Here's my method:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickCoop.htm

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™