my new baby pygmy!

beeliz(2)May 30, 2008

I am going to get a new baby pygmy goat this afternoon! female,adorable,,,is there a special way to introduce a newcomer to my 2 1 year olds,they're both female. Thanks :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chick_mom(south middle TX)

When I worked in a petting zoo, we would try to bring them together while we were there to referree.. If there was any hostility try to pen them side by side.. Goats usually don't have issues.. How old is the baby???? Is it another female or a male?

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 2:01PM
beeliz(2)

The baby is a female,like my other 2. I've been keeping the newbie inside a house inside their goat house so they are together but unable to touch or anything. when I go to let her out to run and play with the others,they kind of gang up a bit and butt her..will they settle this? I'm afraid of the new one getting hurt so I'm keeping her separated till things settle a little more. any more advice would be great!

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 3:44PM
msjay2u(7)

oh thank goodness you decided on the Pygmy rather than the pig. LOL/

GOOD CHOICE.

Make sure you do not pay more attention to the new goat when the others can see. you know goats are jealous and you must always recognize the herd queen first even if there is a new kid on the block.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:44AM
beeliz(2)

Haha,,yes,I'm glad we didn't get the pig too..goats are awsome!
I let them play when I'm there with them,,it goes well at first then turns a little more aggressive. then I put the newbie back into her "space". I will make sure to give the boss her attention before the baby! Thanks

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 9:57AM
beeliz(2)

ok...now they chase her around,,and sometimes really but at her. Is this normal behaviour? Can they hurt her,or do goats do this when they meet? I'm tempted to bring her back to where I got her. Will things settle down ?? I'm worried :(

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™