Duckling waterer

johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)May 7, 2009

(Thought I posted earlier, so if it turns up twice, sorry!)

I am looking for ideas / photos of ways to keep the ducklings from absolutely soaking their bedding. I thought maybe some kind of platform with wire so the waterer would be on top, ducks and chicks could stand on it, but the splashes would be contained underneath.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel -- anyone have a good working solution?

Thanks.

Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Busy Solitude Farm (where my ducklings live!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendasue(6)

We did something similar with our last batch of ducklings, but we used an open pan for the water. Worked OK, still had some mess but not as bad. Those ducks need to clean their bills out. I would suggest also something secured over the water itself(is it open or a store-bought waterer?), also, as the chicks can drown in an open-waterer if they're young. Whatever you put over the top remember the chicks will be jumping on it & dirtying the water.

You're on the right track with the wire.
Brendasue

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 5:42AM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

Brendasue--

Thanks, I'll be at the hardware store later today picking up supplies!

--Johanna

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 7:06AM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

Well, I've taken an intermediate step. I put a large cookie sheet with sides on it under the waterer. Helps to keep the rest of the area drier by containing the water, but holy cow, they sure spill the water. So for the time being they have to walk through the spilled waterer to get to the container. I'm working on a way to put screening over the cookie sheet so the chicks don't have to get wet to take a drink. More to come!

--Johanna

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 9:48AM
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

I am keeping two containers for my ducklings. I add straw for bedding and when that is soaked(end of EACH DAY) I empty it into the garden cart hose it out and set to dry use the other container add clean straw for bedding til next day do the same. The dirty straw goes into the compost heap,the compost in the garden.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 3:13PM
eyecndiggit

If you have chicks and ducks in the same brooder/grower it's a REALLY bad idea. The filth produced by the ducks will make the chicks sick.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 4:03AM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

Eyecndiggit--

What filth is that exactly? I understand that feeding medicated chick starter is dangerous for ducks, and I can see that being constantly wet would be bad for the chicks. Is that what you mean?

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
Giving bones to a dog
We got a couple of large soup bones (no meat on them...
carmen_grower_2007
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™