Can trauma effect egg size?

johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)May 2, 2009

One of my cuckoo marans hens tried to hang herself earlier this week (I posted an emergency about it on Monday).

Yesterday, I found a very small egg in the nest. I'm wondering if the trauma could have caused a disruption in her production. Anyone have experience with this?

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Egg photos at end of this post

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhsuzanne(z5 SW-NH)

I think what you have is called a "wind egg". I recently had a very tiny egg appear and did some research. That tiny egg has no yolk and it's really a "blip" in the reproductive system. It may or may not have anything to do with stress or fear or trauma. It just happens!

I know that stress can affect egg production. I recently had some serious tree harvesting around my chicken coop where there was alot of heavy equipment and giant saws and skidders taking out 100+ year old trees. My girls (14 of them) did not lay for almost two weeks after that trauma!!

I think you will find the attached link as interesting and illuminating as I did!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Odd Eggs

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 12:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

That was interesting. A "fart egg"! I'll have to crack it, I guess, to confirm it has no yolk. Thanks for sharing your research.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™