Question on chicken meat

lappeMay 6, 2008

Hello

We have been raising about 25 giant cornish X for meat. I don't eat the dark meat at all and have put my husband on a diet that he is not suppose to eat dark meat. Now the question is, is there a bird that has more white meat on it than dark? I know it is a silly question but I just thought maybe. Any help what be appreciated.

Thanks Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

Gee I wish you could send that out to me. My favourite part of a chicken.In fact I don't even like the white meat.
Other than that I'm afraid I cann't help you. Sorry!

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 3:55PM
mersiepoo(6)

You should be raising guineas or some game birds like pheasant, maybe. They have really dry meat (bleech, I hate white meat). I don't think they have any 'mostly white meat' chickens, otherwise the poultry industry would be raising them exclusively, I think.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 7:29PM
oberhasli1

You wouldn't want to raise guineas because they are all dark meat. I don't know about pheasant.

Bonnie

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 1:50AM
blueberrier1

Janet, you probably have the highest ratio of white to dark already with the cornish X. When we lived in China, we learned that white meat was the least favored portion of the chicken among the Chinese-thus the least expensive at the markets! Chicken feet even rated higher.
Am curious why breast meat is more favored as it ranks lower in overall nutrition from my studies. If you eat any processed chicken or turkey sausages, you definitely get lots of dark meat.
You might want to partner with folks who prefer dark meat...and all can be happy.

good luck-cella jane.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:59PM
mersiepoo(6)

I'm assuming you want meat with little fat (white meat fits that bill) Guineas may have 'darkish meat' but it is very lean. Very lean. In fact most recipes call for you to add fat like bacon to it so it doesn't dry out.

The other poster is right, white meat is lacking in vitamins/minerals. Better to avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils, those are really what cause wrinkles, heart problems, etc.

Read "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon to get the scoop on what is good, bad and ugly about food that is marketed in the USA. I was surprised to find out how bad most soy products are for people.

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Sponsored Products
Electri-Chef Island 32 in. Build-In Electric Grill - Single Burner Multicolor -
Hayneedle
65-Piece American Chippendale Flatware Service - SILVER
$239.90 | Horchow
Abetta Square Skirt Saddle with Cushion Seat - 205166BK
$402.06 | Hayneedle
Digital Meat Thermometer
Overstock.com
Juniper Opal Suspension Mini Pendant
$404.64 | Bellacor