New to the forum

ehayes71158May 3, 2008

Hello, I am new to the forum and very new to raising farm animals. I have come to a farm from the city just a year ago. I have successfully been raising laying hens. I just got a dozen more pullets that are a month old. I also got 2 mallards and 5 rouen ducks. They are about a month old. Any suggestions on how to let them outside for their first time. I have had them in my house since it was still quite cold here in the Northwest. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Welcome to the forum! :)

What kind of outdoor coop or pens do you have? It would help to know your setup...

I take my young birds that are not old enough to be outdoors full-time, out for short 20-30 minute stints every day, while I sit very close by and guard them. I'll take goodies along with me and go into the coop and do my 'food' call--I use the old standy-by, 'chick-chick-chick'--and pass the goodies out in there. It cements the idea that the coop is a good place with food in their little heads. Taking them out for a few short stints gets them slowly used to being outdoors without older birds being a threat, and they learn where they live a little easier that way.

I release my young chickens out into the flock full-time at the age of 2 months.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 7:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Welcome to one of the most helpful forums on the web! If you are successfully raising laying hens, you have a head start. Whatever advice Velvet gives you--follow it--she is very knowledgeable and helpful.
We, too, are new to farm life. We came to our little spread a year ago, and have enjoyed every minute of it! Let us know how you progress, and never hesitate to ask a question. These folks know their stuff, and are so helpful to us novices!

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
Chickens and Guineas Together
I would like to get 2 chickens and 2 guineas to wonder...
srks72
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™