Chicken Question

aprilfool(7)May 26, 2008

I have a space about 30 x 30 foot, fenced with 6 foot tall chicken wire, Can someone tell me if chickens would fly out of this area if I put them in there? Would I need to clip thier wings and if so where do you clip them? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
allaroundgoatgirl

Most chickens do not fly over fencing that tall. If it's sturdy enough for them to perch on then they may give it a try. Bantams and roosters are more likely to jump that high, but it shouldn't really be a problem.

There is no need to clip their wings unless you do notice them flying over it quite often.

hope this helped. :)

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 3:03PM
aprilfool(7)

Thanks for the info. It will really help me out to be able to keep my chickens inside this area. I'm going to give it a try this fall.

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 4:45PM
redneckoppy

i have a hen that whants to set but i have never let them. What do i do ? and look for? i would like to try and let her set some eggs . can you help me????????

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 6:14PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

aprilfool, what kind of chickens are they? Banties can usually fly pretty darned well, while big, heavy breeds tend to stay sensibly on the ground. :) Also, is the area secure from predators? Because chicken wire isn't good enough.

redneckoppy, do you have a rooster with your hens? If so just gather 5-8 eggs and give them to her, and either isolate her or mark your hatching eggs with an X in pencil, so that you can tell the hatching eggs from fresh ones the other hens will climb in there and lay. Remove any fresh eggs daily.

If you need to find hatching eggs elsewhere, try eggbid.com for egg auctions, or ask around at the feed stores in your area, place an ad on craigslist.com, ask a fellow chicken owner, etc. Where are you located?

There is little you need to actually do for the mother and her babies, besides giving them a safe, secure area to be in, and supplying either chick starter or grow mash for the chicks to eat, plus a waterer they cannot drown in.

I've got a chicken info site here, this is the page on baby chicks, it might help:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHensBroodiesChicks.htm

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 8:05AM
nhsuzanne(z5 SW-NH)

Velvet, what if you cannot provide a separate space for mom and baby chicks? Is it still possible to let a mom hatch some babies?

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™