How to educate myself?

okieladybugMay 2, 2008

DH and I are buying a small acreage in the country (17 acres). The house is a fixer upper, so I know most of our time over the next year will be spent working on it, but eventually we'd like to raise some livestock and get hens for laying. Can you recommend some good books or websites where I can educate myself about such things? I don't want to do ANYTHING until I know for certain what I'm doing.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

Well a great book for raising chickens is Gail Damerow's guide to raising chickens, by Storey Books. It has every single question you would ever think to ask about chickens and even stuff you wouldn't think to ask. It covers everything, hatching chicks, incubators, using broody hens, recipes for chickens, butchering, housing, types of chickens and what they are good for, etc etc. It got me spoiled and I thought that all storey books were as good as hers, but my goat book was sadly lacking on that front. But I would say go with that book, it's awesome!

Good luck with your project, I know first hand that it's a LOT of work, but it can be rewarding! Enjoy and take things as they come.

You might also want to get a subscription to Countryside magazine, or see if you can find old ones on ebay or somewhere cheap.

I also loved the website http://www.journeytoforever.org they told me about using guineas for tick control. I love that website!

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 5:53PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Good for you for knowing to learn all you can ahead of time. :)

This site is a great resource, read back through the threads. I have a chicken info site here, the home page has book and website suggestions that can help you on your way also:

http://jackshenhouse.com/

Have fun with your farm! :)

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 9:13PM
billie_ladybug(5b)

I really like Mother Earth News and Hobby Farm. They have some really interesting articles as well as plenty of places to get ideas: websites, books, etc. My biggest source was the library. They let you read books for free. You never have to buy it, unless you lose it, then the library police will come for you.

Billie

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Earth News

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 10:39PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

^^^ In my mind I see little old bad-tempered ladies with bifocals running you down in the street and going through your pockets for nickels to pay the fines. *G*

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 7:51PM
billie_ladybug(5b)

I think their buns are too tight (the ones on their heads).

Billie

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™