Can you tell me the breed of new rooster?

lindakimyMay 5, 2010

My dh was recently gifted a young rooster by a friend of his who had gotten too many males in a shipment of newly hatched chicks. No one around here has been able to identify him so I thought maybe some of you who are so familiar with poultry might know.

Here is another view - less sharp because it is through the fence.

He is still pretty young; his spurs are not an inch long yet. So far he seems rather slender but that may just be me. I'm used to our plump Rhode Island Red and Buff hens.

He is a pretty fellow, isn't he? Any idea what breed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

I'm just a longtime lurker on the Farm Forum, but I gotta say he IS beautiful.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 7:52PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Wow, is he ever stunning! Except for his comb, he could be a Kraienkoppe...he's got that 'intense eye' thing going. What is his personality like?

He's not a jungle fowl type, wrong kind of comb...did he come from a hatchery, or is it possible he is a mix? If I had to guess on a mix, I'd say something like Kraienkoppe/Australorp, Kraienkoppe/Leghorn or Kraienkoppe/Americaunas (but he's missing the facial tufts).

He's darned gorgeous, whatever he is!

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 7:35AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Looks like a Copper Maran to me. Might have a bit too much color to be a straight Black Copper Maran but they do have the penciling on the breast feathers and the copper neck and saddle and black tails as I recall.

Damn gorgeous bird.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 4:55AM
lindakimy

Thanks for your comments. So far he seems pretty easy going but that may be because he is still so young. Other roosters I've known seemed to become more ornery over time. He is noisy. Good thing we live way out in the country. Apparently he thinks the proper response to just about anything is a session of very loud crowing.

I expect he is a mix of some kind. The guy who gave him to dh said he was an Americauna but he doesn't look much like the pictures I've seen of those. I asked dh to see if he could find out more about him from that fellow.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:27AM
greendesert

beautiful. too bad I can't have roosters in the city.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™