stop brooding hens?

zone8(z8 AL)May 30, 2006

Is there any way to prevent my hens from brooding?

I've been kicking them out of the henhouse each morning, but as soon as I let them back in in the early evening they go straight to the nest box. They have stopped laying and there aren't any eggs left as I've eaten them all. Would like to have more...thus my question.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fancifowl(5Pa)

There are several things to TRY; sometimes nothing works. try suspending them in an all wire cage with no feed, only water for several days. try putting them in another pen, strange to them, with no handy nesting areas.. wait untill they are over the broody period.

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 8:02PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

I agree, sometimes those little stinkers are STUBBORN and stay broody for ages! Putting them in a wire-bottomed cage or rabbit hutch so that air can circulate and cool their fluffy little undersides seems to work the best, although I don't deprive mine of food or water--I feel a broody hens' body is already overtaxed from brooding and she loses enough weight just from that. I want to ENCOURAGE her to come out and eat. :) I've got some other tips on breaking up a broody on my chicken info site, here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~velvetsparrow/VSChickHensBroodiesChicks.htm

Sometimes nothing works, I've had up to nine broodies at a time! *L*

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 12:35AM
catherinet(5 IN)

Velvet Sparrow.........
That's a great site you've made. It's a big help to me. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 7:02AM
dogislander

I recently tried to stop my Black Austrolope Hen from brooding. She has been brooding for over 2 weeks. I tried everything in the book and then I got an idea. I found a piece of garden fencing . . . the green wire stuff with rectangular holes about 3 in x 2 in. I folded the wire into a box about 14" long and 10" wide with sides about 2" high. Then I set it over the nesting area. I figured this way, if she got on the nest and laid an egg that it would go through the wire holes into the nest. That's all it took. She has been off the nest all day just a clucking and a pecking outside the coop! Hope this works for you. I tried everything under the sun including dipping her in cool water but to no avail. This wire contraption has solved my (her) problem. Tim

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 5:34PM
longislandminx

To stop a brooding hen i found very effective putting icecubes and her a few time a day for couple of days and she is very stubborn but it did the trick

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:30AM
longislandminx

oops putting icecubes under her a few time a day

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™