Feeding ducklings properly

sujiwan_gwMay 11, 2009

I have week old runner ducklings. I have purchased duck grower but am wondering exactly how much to feed them daily. It seems like they will clean out the food and water dish extremely quickly and are constantly ready for more so that I am putting food and water in with them 3 times a day. I don't want to overfeed them! What total amount of feed per duck should I measure out daily for week olds and by how much should I increase it per week of age? How much for adults? ( I can't seem to find this info online).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendasue(6)

We've always let them free-choice feed, meaning food always available. In our opinion active, growing young ones of any species cannot be overfed if fed nutritious food free-choice.

If you must measure their food, we've used (for all species)a 10% bodyweight for food. Don't know if that is absolutely correct or not for ducks, but it's worked for us with other species, except you have to keep weighing them as they grow. You can try supplementing with grass clippings to vary their diet a little bit, too, they may or may not eat it.

As far as water, it should be available constantly. Ducks need water to clean out their bills. We do recommend the same free-choice food as ducks grow quickly.

Hope that helps,
Brendasue

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 7:07PM
mersiepoo(6)

I have one jumbo pekin duckling that is a MONSTER already! He or she is growing so fast, about as heavy as the two goslings I have. I feed them all a mix of sweet feed, XLA, grass and other greens. I throw insects in there if I can catch them.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 3:01PM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

I am so enjoying having two Pekin ducklings this year with my chicks, but I'm very surprised how fast they grow! They are absolutely pigs with the food and water. I need to build a new pen so they'll have more room (and a dirt floor, so the chicks don't stand in water!).

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™