Help! Disturbed nest of duck eggs by accident!

nicksmom99May 16, 2010

My husband and I were removing some bushes from our landscaping when we noticed a nest of eggs had been underneath. We did not touch them with our hands, but my husband did move one a little with a stick. We put the bush back over the nest to protect the eggs.

We believe that they are duck eggs (can't imagine what else they would be). I've been doing some research on the internet about incubating them, but I have no idea how far along they are.

Is there a way to tell how far along they are? I don't know if they'd be better off if I just leave them and hope the mom comes back, or if I should make an attempt to save them.

Any advice is appreciated!! I believe there are at least 5 eggs, but there could be more.

Please help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

She should be back. Even if you touched them. I have moved eggs when we were haying and she just looked after them. I really do not think they can smell.I didn't move them far away. Just over a bit.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 11:12AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

The american vultures can smell, but most birds have a very poor sense of smell. That old line about not disturbing a nest because the birds can smell humans has little to do with reality.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 4:00PM
beegood_gw

Well never seen a vulture but looks like they can zero in on anything dead so I guess before they see it they smell it. And I agree birds could care less if you touched their eggs or babys. We used to take baby crows for pets and Mama crow still looked after the rest. When birds are banded the parents don't just leave.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 4:12PM
nicksmom99

Thanks for your help! I was doing a lot of research on the internet, and one place said the duck wouldn't come back if you were around the eggs. Can't believe everything you read (or hear for that matter)!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond!

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 12:38PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Don't be around the eggs, the ducks will see you and stay away, try to be far away from the eggs.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:17AM
More Discussions
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™