a confused banty rooster....weird!

mersiepoo(6)May 9, 2008

I noticed my one banty rooster sitting down in the tall grass near the dogs fence. I thought maybe he was sick! So I go to check on him, and he gets up...he was setting on a guinea egg! He then went back to it and 'sat' on it, even fluffed his feathers over the egg! I never saw this happen before, I think maybe he's having some gender identification issues here.

He's not too 'practiced' at it, because he then got off the egg, and sat down again next to it, like he didn't know he's supposed to stay on it, ha ha!

Has anyone ever seen this happen? He's not a capon or anything. Weird! I wish I had my camera to show you all....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claraserena(4)

Once in while I find one of our bantam roosters sitting in a nesting box. Maybe this is characteristic of bantams or maybe it's a status thing?

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 7:40AM
mersiepoo(6)

I don't know..but I do know he's the lowest on the pecking order. He thinks he's a guinea since he was raised with them, maybe he's 'protecting' the nest, ha ha!

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 1:20PM
billie_ladybug(5b)

I have heard that sometimes if a roo sees that the hen is not taking care of the nest, he will take over.
Billie

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™