skunk questions

claraserena(4)May 18, 2008

Late this afternoon I saw a skunk next to the pen/hut where we have our broody hen and her chick. The skunk had its hand through the wire mesh--the chickens were in the hut so no harm done. The skunk slinked off when we came out the front door and went into tall grass. Since then I have brought the mom and chick into the mudroom for the night.

Questions: Do skunks prey on chickens? This one was certainly interested. What can we do to get rid of the skunk?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

YES THEY DO, AND THE RESULTS ARE HORRIBLE.

You spotted exactly what they do: reach THROUGH the wire and simply grab a bird, hold it and with the other paw, scoop meat out of the back of the bird. A lot of times the chicken survives this horrific experience until you find it in the morning, and are faced with either euthanizing the bird or trying to get a large wound healed. :( Raccoons do this, too--and THEY arrive in groups!

A motion activated light may help...but you really need to get mama and babies (and the rest of the flock, too) out of arms' reach of the skunk--or put up hardware cloth, which is welded wire with small, square openings that NOTHING can reach through, short of a mouse or rat.

Skunks are smart, nasty predators; it'll be back. I'm not sure, but I'll bet they try and dig UNDER the wire to get at the birds as well, so seal off that avenue of access too.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 4:41AM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Need help with a ground cover grass that is fast growing
I'm looking for some input on what kind of wild grass...
broguearcher
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
shihtzu4su
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
Sponsored Products
Frasier Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Wave Sectional Sofa
| Italy Design
Educational Insights Hot Dots Laugh It Up! Spelling - Grades 4 - 6 - EI-2737
$19.99 | Hayneedle
ALB series Aluminum LED Light Bar Fixture - Flush Mount
Super Bright LEDs
Cross Extension Table
Design Within Reach