Rooster question

cindee11461(z9CA)May 25, 2009

I bought chicks two years ago. I have never heard a crow coming from the chicken house until a few weeks ago. The chicken I think is a rooster crowing does not fit the typical rooster look. No spurs no big comb and is very shy. I have never seen him "do" the girls either. So why suddenly is he crowing? He is an Ameraucana/Araucana

breed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

It's entirely possible that you have a crowing hen. It does happen once in a while. Have you ever seen this bird lay an egg?

Americaunas and Araucanas are two different breeds. Americaunas have muffs and a beard, small combs and a grayish-green 'willow' leg color.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAraucanas.html

Aracaunas are from South America, are much more rare and have HUGE facial tufts and are rumpless--no tail. Check these pics to see which you have:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKArauTrue.html

Your bird might be a crowing hen, or just a late bloomer roo. Americaunas are quite laid-back, so he may indeed be a roo boy.

Hope this helps!

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 1:28AM
gardendawgie(5)

If you had purchased straight run chicks then half would be roosters. You must have purchased sexed females for egg laying. You can get a rooster. buy straight run or find an older rooster. make a low cost incubator. Or buy some fertilized eggs. I am sure you can find something locally.

What kind of chickens did you purchase. Where did you buy them.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 11:30AM
annpatt

I've read that sometimes when there's no rooster in a flock, a dominant hen may take on some male characteristics, such as attempting to mate hens and crowing. People used to think that the bird was a freak of nature---an egg-laying rooster---and the eggs from these "roosters" were called something I can't remember. I have several hen-mating hens, but no crowers.

Bookmark   May 29, 2009 at 5:57PM
msjay2u(7)

I went on the internet trying to find the name of these eggs and I found this interesting tidbit:
A rooster is, of course, a male chicken, and only hens, or female chickens, lay eggs. But every now and then, a disease may cause a rooster to change its gender and become a hen, or vice-versa. Some of these roosters-turned-hens have actually laid eggs!

But this still does not mean that a rooster can lay an egg; it's still true that only a female chicken can lay an egg. The most we can say about the rooster's egg-laying ability is that some roosters that turn into hens can lay eggs.

This was on a site called big site of amazing facts. Not sure how true this is or not...

Here is a link that might be useful: i also thought this was interesting although not related to the subject. Found it while searching the the egg laying roosters

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™