How to tame your vines?

dcrosby(5MA)June 1, 2012

Dear Garden Folk,

I foolishly planted my cukes, squash and zucchini in a smallish spot. I garden in a community plot and am concerned that my vines will creep into my tomato patch and into my neighbors plot Is there a way to manipulate the vines?

Thanks!

Dale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
m_lorne(5b)

The zucchini will stay put, it will just get big. The cukes sprawl and are best trellised as coarlb suggests. The squash can be trained. Use some stiff wire like fence wire and bend it into a U shaped staple, about 5-6" long. train the vine where you want it to go, and secure it in place with the wire staple, pinning the vine against the ground. Give it a bit of space to allow for growth/expansion. Keep training this way and you can pretty much make it go where ever you want.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 10:59AM
dcrosby(5MA)

if i start winding the cukes up a tomato cage will they eventually start growing that way by themselves? can i train the squash to climb a tomato cage as well?

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 12:57PM
coralb(7)

Once you get your cukes started they will climb by themselves. Zucchini and yellow squash do not have tendrils to help them climb. Also, the ones I have grown would be to big to hold themselves up on a cage. I think M_lorne was talking about training your squash along the ground.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 2:29PM
chas045(7b)

I'm with m_lorne. Unless you have special plants, your zuchini and yellow squash won't vine, they just grow wide. Within limits, you can just move pumpkin and winter squash vines where you want them.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 2:57PM
dcrosby(5MA)

Well, I moved the zuchini and the squash out so that they'l have more room and set old tomato cages over the cukes. I think i've got it under control
Thanks for the help!

Dale

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™